Why should parents sign up for Schoology?
Parent Guide: https://support.schoology.com/hc/en-us/articles/201000873-Parent-Guide
Parent Forum: https://support.schoology.com/hc/en-us/sections/200216553-Parents
Schoology: What is it?
Essentially, it is an online virtual classroom that provides teachers and students with the opportunity to interact in discussions, drop assignment files, download notes, watch videos, etc. Your child's daily assignments can be found here. Classroom pictures are posted as well.
Why would I want to use Schoology as a parent?
Unlike a regaular classroom website, an online gradebook, Schoology allows you to interact with the classroom. It gives you a more accurate window into their world, so you can help guide them, if necessary.
Why are some teachers using Schoology and others using offline gradebooks for grades?
Just as our students have different learning and organization styles, so do our teachers. Some teachers like the functionality of an offline gradebook and others find that Schoology better fits their needs with regards to grades. We support teachers in using tools that help them be the best teacher for their students. We simply want to make sure parents know how to access information they need to help their child as well.
How do we register?
- Using any Web Browser go to www.schoology.com
- Click SIGN UP in the upper right corner
- Click PARENT in the window that pops up
- Enter your Access Code – if you do not have the code, please email your child's teacher.
- Click Continue
- You will enter identification information and select a Username and Password, make sure that you enter an email address as well.
- Click REGISTER
- Click on MY CHILDREN tab to the left to view your student(s) activity. If you have more than 1 student using Schoology, you can add your other child(ren) to the account you created by following the steps below:
For additional children please follow these steps:
- Log into your Schoology account using your username or email address and password.
- Click on the downfacing arrow on the top right
- Select the option to +Add Child.
- Enter the Child Code (Parent Access Code - distributed to you by the student’s teacher)for the child you'd like to add to your account.
- The code should look similar to 1A2-BC3-4KD5. If your code does not look like this code, you may have to ask your child's teacher for another code.
- Click on the Use Code button to complete.
How do we look at grades?
Once logged into Schoology, on the right hand side you will see:
- Can we receive an email summary from Schoology about my child’s grades?
Yes. The instructions below are global - so you will receive an update for all children related to that account.
- Click on the upper far right arrow beside your child’s name.
- Where it says Email Summary change this to On
- Select the options (Daily, Weekly and time you want it sent)
- Click Save Changes
The full digest includes:
- A activity breakdown for each child
- Course summaries complete with recent assignments and assessments, grades, attendance, and comments.
- A snapshot of what's Upcoming
- A look at the Recent Activity Feed
One great part is that if the parent wants more information, then they can click any of the blue links and go straight to what they want to know.
A free app is also available for smartphones linking notifications to your phone directly.
How do I add additional children to my account?
Also, please see information under How do we register?